Here are some ideas on how you can make your next party kind to animals:
- Serve kind party food and drinks: The best way to have an animal-friendly party is by not eating them! For party foods, choose ingredients that are not made from animals, such as meat, fish, cheese, milk, eggs and honey. Don’t forget the cake!
- Reduce waste by avoiding disposable plastic: Single-use cutlery, plates, decorations and balloons may look great, but will end up in the landfill or make their way into waterways and natural habitats. This can be dangerous for animals, who may get trapped or eat the rubbish they find. You can use paper napkins or regular dishes – just make sure you help clean up! You can make your own decorations with coloured paper or get some reusable decorations. Fairy lights and colourful bunting made from fabric can be used over and over.
- Give to the animals: Instead of presents, you can ask guests to bring a donation to help animals in need. Not only does this help animals, but it also reduces the number of unwanted toys going to the landfill. Did you know that most wrapping paper cannot be recycled and must be thrown in the rubbish instead? Another idea is to have your guests bring supplies for a local animal shelter instead of gifts. Animal shelters are always in need of food, clean bedding and toys.
- Avoid using animals used for entertainment: Animals should never be used for entertainment, even at birthday parties. Petting zoos and pony rides may seem fun, but can be really stressful for the animals involved. Have some animal-free activities at your party instead. You could have a talent show, a craft station, an obstacle course or scavenger hunt.
- Make a plan for any animals in your home during a party: Some companion animals may not like having so many people around or may get over excited. Make sure they have somewhere quiet and safe to go during the party, with access to plenty of water and food.
- Have an animal-themed party and ask guests to come dressed as their favourite animal!
- You can make a birthday donation to SAFE!
- Check out our recipes for some yummy party food ideas.
- Not your birthday for another six months or so? Any celebration is an excuse for a good animal-friendly party! Try applying this action to Christmas, Easter, Halloween or even a summer BBQ.